Saturday, June 22, 2013

Haze haze go away~

My lovely little island is now covered with thick and awful haze.. All thanks to the neighbour =( it is so bad that I missed taking in huge breaths of air! YOU! Return the fresh air back to me!

With my precious N95 mask

I remembered the last time when Singapore was hit by such bad haze was when I was still a student, back in 1997.. We didn't have high-tech masks called N95 then (maybe there were but that wasn't so prevalent).. Friends recalled that school had to stop coz of the haze (did it?).. And I only remembered myself staring out of the windows every now and then to see how blur things outside were, and monitored the PSI index that was reported on tv.. Haha.. There was no such a thing called social media.. No Facebook, twitter, news forums, 3G to check for hourly updates on NEA website, etc.. There were only the tv, radio and newspapers.. Haha.. Those were the days =p think the haze lasted for a week or two then..

My neighborhood stinks now!

And so... It became an annual affair, an irritating one! And this time round things seem to be pretty serious.. [}%}~^>*¥'$?,]{<;,)$&@¥\|'... You get what I mean.. My lunches were limited to office canteen food coz I can't bear standing/walking in the haze for long, the thought of poisonous dust particles getting stuck on my lungs or in my blood was horrifying.. PSI 401... My health! My weekends are almost wasted, I can't breathe normally, I can't see properly, I can't do outdoor activities, etc.. N I have no clue when this will end =(

But as I complain and curse this man-made disaster, I worry for the needy, construction workers working outdoors, and especially the elderly who couldn't get proper N95 masks, who had to breathe in toxic air coz they don't have air conditioning at home, who had to brave the awful haze when their bodies are not as fit as the younger folks... But they are not complaining, and suffering in silence.. My heart goes out to them! Just heard that the government will be distributing 1 mil masks to 200,000 low-income families.. Hope more help goes into helping the elderly too.. Singapore, let's help one another tide through this~

Meanwhile my friends, let's brace ourselves and tide through this awful haze together.. Let's watch out for one another, and stay healthy.. fight the stupid haze monster *hmph* I want my garden city back!

 

No comments: